Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The Place I Call Home

A poem to start off the 8th grade Humanities blog. :)
Alright, I'm not good at poetry - something I would admit. Or at least this type of poetry, these standards were a bit closed for my taste. :P Anyways, this a poem following the style of George Ella Lyon, titled 'Where I'm From."

If it's that bad, I'll go back for sure.
_________________________________________________________________________________


The Place I Call Home

I am from the green,
under the tropical sun.
I am from Texans and Asians,
orangutans and VillaBeta.
Where everyone knows each other
and only had one grocery store,
which I remember as the commissary
that had many of the ever-famous IndoMee.

I’m from dial-up and Tootsie Rolls,
from baseball and Nutella.
I’m from iced tea and roti canai -
don’t forget that rice.

I am from the philosophers, the silent and the fun-loving,
from the ‘catch me if you can’ and the ‘what if’s.’
I am from wonder and questioning,
and also from the quiet of silence.
I am also from the place of whiny and the gossiping,
who couldn’t keep their mouths shut,
leading to the world I belong of - questioning.

Though under all the chocolate,
the iced tea and baseball,
under the hot sun and tropical setting -
are the stories of a Malaysian family,
by the names of the Zailanis coming
with questioning and wonder of their own.

- Dhabitah E.B.Z. 


_________________________________________________________________________________

Alright, I am indeed a Malaysian but being a TCK (third culture kid) grown up in Indonesia (which I consider home), this poem focuses on Indonesia. Not only one, but two towns as well in Indonesia, as to make more sense.




No comments:

Post a Comment